Gentry Girls Hockey
Our dedication will provide individual attention and the ability to deliver all of the resources your student-athlete needs to grow, develop and succeed. By accessing different instructors, with specific skills and techniques, our student-athletes can hone a truly comprehensive approach to the game while having fun.
Our student-athletes have access to:
- Expert instructors
- Individual development
- State-of-the-art facilities
- World-class training
Our student-athletes develop skills such as:
- Team building
Gentry Academy offers an unmatched hockey development program. Our commitment to each and every student-athlete, on and off the ice is at the core of our program. Our on-ice program will include individual skill building as well as systems and tactics development. Our off-ice program will include dryland training and video analysis. We believe that in order to cultivate the best learning experience, it's critical our student-athletes have access to a diverse training curriculum. Our high-end coaches will lead daily training on a rotation to maximize player performance, broaden learning and ensure the greatest possible skill development in a diverse environment. In addition, outside skills development coaches will be integrated into our all-encompassing training regiment.
Our daily ice schedule rotates with the initial phase of the session focused on individual skills such as:
- Power Edge Pro (PEP) – Developed by Joe Quinn, PEP training combines individual skills, tactics in small areas with transition, change of direction, agility, decision, and reactionary type skills creating small area dominance. Connor McDavid, the most sought-after prospect since Sidney Crosby, has been a student of the Power Edge Pro small area/reactive hockey training since he was nine years old and continues to train with the Erie Otters of the Ontario Hockey League.
- Skinner Stickhandling – Our stickhandling program is led by world-renowned stickhandler, Sean Skinner. Sean's program involves movement patterns every player must master to score a goal or maintain possession of the puck at key points of the game. Elite NHL players utilize stickhandling techniques that give them a clear advantage over opponents.
- Variable Goals Training (VGT) – Developed by Ludek Bukac Sr. and Jr., VGT is a new and innovative way to challenge players to stimulate their read and react skills.
- Power Skating – Our power skating program allows for our student-athletes to learn strong, fast and controlled skating techniques.
- Dynamic Skating – Many players can't make the jump to truly elite levels because of the speed of the game. Dynamic skating focuses on maximizing our student-athletes speed advantage. Too many times, skills are taught by demonstrating a finished product. When students fall short of achieving these skills they don't understand why. Skills need to be broken down into their individual dynamics and repeatedly practiced. This process ingrains the neuromuscular patterns needed to rebuild the finished skill. Our dynamic skating program uses balance-point training to cultivate fast, powerful and skillful skaters.
- Effective Shooting Techniques – Developing a quick, accurate and powerful shot is something that takes practice. Our student-athletes will receive training on getting more power to the backhand, the goal scorer's secret, finishing the shot and quick release tactics.
The final phase of every session includes training on skills, sense, and systems in an efficient, competitive, and fun environment. This will include:
DRYLAND training is held in our newly constructed, state-of-the-art facility that is used to perfect hockey skills. Sessions focus on building core competencies such as:
In a continued effort to bring an unmatched girls hockey development program to Minnesota, Gentry Academy is excited to announce a partnership with OS Hockey Training. This provides girls in 5th-8th grades with the OPPORTUNITY to attend Gentry Academy and receive the best in both academics and athletics. Gentry Academy is the only school offering this opportunity for girls of this age. We have a firm understanding that girls hockey is fast evolving, and their game needs to be approached with the best available talent in girls hockey.
That is exactly why we have partnered with OS Hockey Training because they understand what it takes to excel in the women's game, and have the NCAA D1 national championships and professional experience to prove it. This partnership provides our female student-athletes access to the best coaches and instructors in the game.
Girls Galaxy Head Coach and Skills Instructor
Coach Jeff Burton was born and raised in Minneapolis, MN. He began his hockey career growing up in Minneapolis playing for Minneapolis Roosevelt's youth association. He played varsity hockey for 3 years and lead the conference as the highest scoring defenseman his junior and senior year. During his high school career, he also played hockey with the Minnesota Jr. North Stars, he appeared once in the Minnesota state high school hockey tournament, and was a three year captain on the varsity soccer team and captain on the baseball team. After high school Coach Burton continued his athletic career attending The College of St. Scholastica where he played four years of baseball breaking seven school records and playing hockey in the Northern Collegiate Hockey Association (NCHA) earning All-American-Honors.
Since college, Jeff Burton has coached for two of the best hockey programs in Minnesota. He has most recently been coaching the top female players and top female teams in North America with the OS/WhiteCap program and with the Minnesota Elite League. When he is not coaching on the ice, he spends his time as a hockey skills instructor working on stickhandling, shooting, and developing proper skating fundamentals. We are extremely excited to have Coach Burton working with our athletes!
On/Off Ice Instructor, Power Edge Pro (PEP) Instructor, Certified Sean Skinner Stick Handling Instructor
When Meaghan Pezon was growing up, the only way she could have spent more time on the ice is if she had lived on it. As it was, her backyard was already a rink. By high school, Meaghan's prowess on the ice was solidified – as a senior at Eden Prairie, she led her team to an undefeated season, and its first state championship. She played with the St. Cloud State Huskies for four years, where her decisive skating and dominant delivery as forward helped the fledgling program develop into a serious division contender. During her senior year, the Huskies were third in the WCHA, which was the first time a team other than the University of Minnesota, University of Wisconsin or University of Minnesota-Duluth finished that high in the standings. Additionally, Meaghan was named the “Offensive Player of the Week” by US College Hockey Online in both 2007 and 2006. Meaghan was a member of the 2011 Minnesota Whitecaps WWHL championship team and continues to play professional hockey with them.
Current: Minnesota Whitecaps Forward, Proguard Internal Sales
Former: St. Cloud State University (2006-2010), State High School Hockey Champion – Eden Prairie High School (2002- 2005)
Sean Molin serves as a lead and Power Edge Pro (PEP) instructor at Gentry Academy. Sean played for Roseville High School's hockey team, serving as team captain in his senior year, and went on to play for Bethel University for four years.
Sean's passion for hockey fundamentals led him to become a sought-after hockey instructor for all ages. Not only has he coached at the collegiate level, but he is also Minnesota Hockey Certified for both the Peewee and Bantam levels. During his 10 year tenure as youth hockey coach at Andover and Centennial, Sean led Andover's first Peewee AA and Bantam AA teams to the state tournament. Sean was also the junior varsity head coach at Bethel University, lead instructor at the Wes Walz Minnesota Wild Hockey School and associate director of Miracle Gold AAA Hockey. Currently, he coaches the Andover Huskies' U12 team. Adding to his impressive coaching background is Sean's 10 plus years of experience as a skills development coach for some of the most premiere hockey organizations, including Total Hockey, Power Plus Power Skating School, FHIT, Showcase Hockey, Power Hockey Academy, and Intensity Hockey Camps.
Sean's commitment to excellence inspired him to become both Power Edge Pro certified and an NSC adult skills coach, as well as to train with the following coaches: Larry Hendrickson, Dean Talafous, Sean Skinner, Joe Dziedzic, Wes Walz, Keri Olufson, Richard Power, and Patrick Quinn. Finally, Sean's expertise and insight is not limited to his players' performance on the ice. As a certified life coach, Sean creates more than just elite hockey players, he creates elite individuals.